So Mom Has Breast Cancer…

If you’re looking for a casual Sunday read, this isn’t it. I’ve talked about life on here many times in the past, but I don’t think I’ve ever really touched on the subject matter of family. I’d say we’re a pretty average family, and thus there usually isn’t much to talk about.

That changed last Saturday. If you follow along on Twitter, you may have seen that I was hoping for my first quiet weekend since moving to Portland last week. While it may have looked like it was, it wasn’t. When I first moved to Drexel five years ago, my parents and I started calling each other weekly on the weekends, which we’ve continued to do so since then – even when I was on the other side of the world in Australia, thanks to Google Voice. All calls don’t have any real structure to them; we just talk about what transpired over the last week, so relatively important news can come up at any time, like right in the middle, which is how it was last week.

It was the last thing I’d ever guess I’d hear over the phone, but it was also news we weren’t expecting to hear in general. There’s no history of cancer on mom’s side of the family, but there are plenty of cardiac problems, which we all always thought would be, well, the way anyone would go.

However, it’s still very early on. There are still many questions to ask, and one more care provider to see for a third opinion. By the way, a pope visit is a bad time to have to schedule care center visits, more so because of traffic and road closures than anything else. Now, because I’m on the other coast in Portland, I don’t know what’s happening on a day-to-day basis. I don’t know if it’s busy, calm, or just a lot of waiting right now. I want to say it’s the latter until a care center decision has been made, as we’ve already witnessed two very different experiences.

Right now, we don’t have any treatment plans finalized as we’re not 100% sure what the extent of the cancer is yet. I don’t know when we will. I might start a monthly update on here, but that too remains un-finalized at this time. There’s a lot we’re playing by ear right now. I’m very thankful that everyone I’ve told at Schoolhouse thus far has been incredibly understanding and supportive – that did make this past Monday a lot easier of a day.

So that’s it for now. Time of another week of wait and see.

%d bloggers like this: