Stephen James Weber
Stephen is a graduate of Drexel University in Philadelphia, PA, where he received a Bachelor of Science in Information Technology as part of the first graduating class from the College of Computing and Informatics (CCI).
During his five years at Drexel, he served as Head of Special Projects at Drexel TechServ and was Vice President his Senior year.
His internships included Bristol-Myers Squibb Company, The National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), and Accenture Australia.
His team’s Senior Design project was awarded Second Place at the First-Annual CCI Senior Design Challenge.
His operating system of choice is macOS, but he also runs Linux (OpenSUSE usually) and Windows 10. He has also run Windows Server 2012 and every desktop version of Windows since Windows 95.
With regards to mobile, Stephen has an iPhone and iPad Mini. He hardly flies (but does hold a passport) and instead prefers to travel via Amtrak.
While he was in Melbourne and Philadelphia, he could often been found volunteering on the tram network. At age 22, he learned how to ride a bike in two hours at the Indego preview event and lead the initial ride to The Free Library of Philadelphia, Central Branch.
Stephen currently lives in Portland, OR where he goes by Streetcar and bike.
In a nutshell: Geek, otaku, and public transit advocate.
Currently works at:
- Kroger Technology Center – Specialist, eCommerce & Digital Operations
- The France Hopper Company – Founder
- Radio Hyrule – The Voice; formerly Relay Server Provider
Current freelance work:
- Cupcake Carnivale – Webmaster
Previously worked at:
- Schoolhouse Electric & Supply Company – Website Administrator
- Drexel University TechServ – Vice President and Head of Special Projects (See the Projects page for what I’ve worked on)
- Gemakei – Community Administrator
- Accenture Australia – Solution and Delivery Analyst, Digital (at AGL Energy in Melbourne, VIC; Internship)
- Yarra Trams – Tram Volunteer
- Zelda Reorchestrated – Support Staff
- Waze – Area Manager, Tinton Falls and Princeton, NJ
- Drexel University Archives – Archives Assistant (Work-Study Student, later Student Employee)
- Geophysical Fluid Dynamics Laboratory (GFDL) – Computer Operator (Internship)
- Bristol-Myers Squibb Company – Information Security Analyst (Internship)
- The Philadelphia Orchestra – eZseatU Campus Representative, Drexel University
- Strong Incentives – Webmaster, Virtual Assistant
Hobbies, Habits and Play:
- Mostly reads manga from the library, but has checked out plenty of other things too.
- Spends most of his time on the Internet on Crunchyroll, Funimation, Culture Japan, Twitter, Reddit, and Anime News Network.
- Games on Playstation.
- Hasn’t watched cable TV since moving to Portland.
- Streams: NHK World, Reuters TV, EPIX, HBO Go, Amazon Prime Video, Crunchyroll, Funimation, Showtime, and USA Now. Among others.
- Hobbies include: Beta testing, web development, music, anime, manga, coffee, riding public transit (including all of SEPTA’s Regional Rail), and elevators (yes, for real).
- Interests include: IoT, virtual worlds, cloud and mobile technologies, grid computing, NFC, holographic displays, motion controls, artificial intelligence, autonomous vehicles, augmented reality, voice acting, video games, and Japan. Just to name a few.
- Checks in via Swarm/Foursquare, where he is a Level 4 Super User.
- Finds his way while driving via Waze.
- Frequently shops at: J-Box, RightStuf, Sony, Apple, Kinokuniya, and Powell’s Books.
- Frequently drinks at: Behind The Museum Café, Book of Tea Café, Oracle Coffee Company, and Capital One Café.
- Previously shopped at, drank at, etc: Borders, Wegmans Coffee Shop, Starbucks, Rook Coffee Roasters, Small World Coffee, Bike Caffe, Rival Bros, Elixr Coffee, and AmiAmi.
- Insists on OpenDNS and DNSCrypt.
- Prefers a medium roasted coffee. His brew of choice is Rival Bros’ Whistle & Cuss, which he still imports by mail from Philly to Portland.
- Goes by Streetcar and bike in Portland. Always taps his Hop card.
- Spent most of his time in Philadelphia on an adventure to discover new places (especially coffee shops) and could be found at least once a week at the Walnut West branch of the Free Library of Philadelphia renting books and/or movies.
- Travels around the US by train on Amtrak and by air on Alaska.
- Traveled around Philadelphia via Indego.
- Traveled around Melbourne on Yarra Trams, usually on an E-Class.
- Spent most of his free time in Melbourne on the trams, with the libraries in a close second.
- When he codes, he does it in Atom.
- Always knows where his coffee is.
Proud Supporter Of:
- Culture Japan
- Scientific research via BOINC and Folding@Home.
- The Philadelphia Museum of Art, Portland Art Museum, and MoMA as a former member.
- The Good Smile Racing Team as a Personal Sponsor.
- The anime industry through his subscriptions to Crunchyroll and Funimation and too many Kickstarter campaigns to list off here. He has also done some subtitling work.
- Portland Streetcar where he is a Friend of the Portland Streetcar, a member of two board subcommittees, and a former member of the Streetcar Advisory Committee prior to its conclusion in September 2019.
- The Multnomah County Library.
- All Classical Portland as a Sustaining Donor.
- The Portland Japanese Garden as a Gateway Member and Evergreen Patron.
- Still holds a library card for every local library where he’s lived in the last five years (yep, all seven of them. And counting.)
Profiles Around The Web:
- Crunchyroll (I give out Guest Passes on my Twitter a lot)