Stephen James Weber (They/Them)
Stephen is a graduate of Drexel University in Philadelphia, PA, where they received a Bachelor of Science in Information Technology as part of the first graduating class from the College of Computing and Informatics (CCI).
During their five years at Drexel, they served as Head of Special Projects at Drexel TechServ and was Vice President their Senior year.
Their internships included Bristol-Myers Squibb Company, The National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), and Accenture Australia.
Their team’s Senior Design project was awarded Second Place at the first Annual CCI Senior Design Challenge.
Their operating system of choice is macOS, but they also runs Linux (OpenSUSE usually) and Windows 11. They have also run Windows Server 2012 and every desktop version of Windows since Windows 95. With regards to mobile, Stephen has an iPhone 13 and iPad Pro.
Stephen hardly flies (but does hold a passport) and instead prefers to travel via Amtrak. In the rare occasion Stephen does fly, Stephen’s airline of choice is Alaska.
While Stephen was in Melbourne and Philadelphia, they could often been found volunteering on the tram network. At age 22, they learned how to ride a bike in two hours at the Indego preview event and led the initial ride to The Free Library of Philadelphia, Central Branch.
Stephen currently lives in Portland, OR where they go by Portland Streetcar and bike. Lives with their cat, Jiji.
In a nutshell: Geek, otaku, and public transit advocate. Knows where their coffee is.
Currently Works At:
- ZREO Studios – Community Manager
- The Kroger Company – Human Resources Shared Services Reporting Analyst
- The France Hopper Company – Founder
Current Freelance Work:
- Cupcake Carnivale – Webmaster
Current Volunteer Work:
Previously Worked At:
- Radio Hyrule – The Voice; formerly Relay Server Provider
- Schoolhouse Electric & Supply Company – Website Administrator
- Drexel University TechServ – Vice President and Head of Special Projects (See the Projects page for what I’ve worked on)
- Gemakei – Community Administrator
- Accenture Australia – Solution and Delivery Analyst, Digital (at AGL Energy in Melbourne, VIC; Internship)
- Zelda Reorchestrated – Support Staff
- Waze – Area Manager, Tinton Falls and Princeton, NJ
- Drexel University Archives – Archives Assistant (Work-Study Student, later Student Employee)
- Geophysical Fluid Dynamics Laboratory (GFDL) – Computer Operator (Internship)
- Bristol-Myers Squibb Company – Information Security Analyst (Internship)
- The Philadelphia Orchestra – eZseatU Campus Representative, Drexel University
- Strong Incentives – Webmaster, Virtual Assistant
Hobbies, Habits, and Play:
- Mostly reads manga from the library, but has checked out plenty of other things too.
- Owns so many books, they have to inventory them to prevent getting duplicates. (Over 1,800 books as of July 2023.)
- Spends most of their time on the Internet on Crunchyroll, Funimation, Mastodon, Instagram, and Discord.
- Games on a Playstation 5 and iPad Pro.
- Hasn’t watched cable TV since moving to Portland.
- Primarily streams content from NHK World, Reuters TV, Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Crunchyroll, and Funimation.
- Hobbies include: Beta testing, web development, music, anime, manga, coffee, riding public transit (including all of SEPTA’s Regional Rail), and elevators (yes, for real).
- Interests include: IoT, public transport, virtual worlds, cloud and mobile technologies, grid computing, NFC, holographic displays, motion controls, artificial intelligence, autonomous vehicles, augmented reality, voice acting, video games, and Japan. Just to name a few.
- Checks in via Swarm/Foursquare, where they are a Level 4 Super User.
- Finds their way while driving via Apple Maps.
- Frequently shops at: J-Box, CD Japan, RightStuf, Sony, Apple, Kinokuniya, and Powell’s Books.
- Frequently drinks at: Less & More Coffee, Behind The Museum Café, Oracle Coffee Company, Nossa Familia, and Capital One Café.
- Previously shopped at, drank at, etc: Borders, Wegmans Coffee Shop, Starbucks, Rook Coffee Roasters, Small World Coffee, Bike Caffe, Rival Bros, Elixr Coffee, and AmiAmi.
- Prefers a medium roasted coffee. Their brew of choice is Rival Bros’ Watari Bune 55 with Naginata in a close second (Yes, it really is the best sake brewed outside of Japan.)
- Their red wine of choice is the 2015 Yamhella Vineyard Pinot Noir, the first red wine they actually liked (and now keep on hand.)
- Their white wine of choice is Willamette Valley Vineyards’ Riesling.
- Goes by Portland Streetcar and bike in Portland, both via BIKETOWN and their own bike, an Opus Zermatt. Always taps their custom Hop card.
- Spent most of their time in Philadelphia on an adventure to discover new places (especially coffee shops) and could be found at least once a week at the Walnut West branch of the Free Library of Philadelphia renting books and/or movies.
- Traveled around Philadelphia via Indego.
- Traveled around Melbourne on Yarra Trams, usually on an E-Class.
- Spent most of their free time in Melbourne on the trams, with the libraries in a close second.
- When Stephen codes, they do it in Atom.
- Their pen of choice is the Platinum PTL-20000H-24F.
- Their pencil of choice is the PRO-USE 171 (MSDA-1500B).
- Their notebook of choice is Midori’s MD Note line. Traveler’s Company (previously a Midori brand) comes in a very close second.
- Always knows where their coffee is.
Proud Supporter Of:
- Culture Japan
- Scientific research via BOINC and Folding@Home.
- The Philadelphia Museum of Art, Portland Art Museum, and MoMA as former members.
- The Good Smile Racing Team as a Personal Sponsor.
- The anime industry through their subscriptions to Crunchyroll and Funimation for over ten years and too many Kickstarter campaigns to list off here. They have also done some subtitling work for anime.
- Portland Streetcar where they are the Chair of The Friends of the Portland Streetcar, a member of two board subcommittees, and a former member of the Streetcar Advisory Committee prior to its conclusion in September 2019.
- The Multnomah County Library.
- All Classical Portland as a Sustaining Donor.
- The Portland Japanese Garden as a Gateway Member and Evergreen Patron.
- The Lan Su Chinese Garden.
- Still holds a library card for every local library where they’ve lived in the last five years (Yep, all seven of them. And counting.)
- Local businesses in their home district of South Portland and all of Portland.
Profiles Around The Web:
- Pixiv (Warning: Some content on Pixiv may not be safe for work. This is hidden by default.)